10% of Final Grade
-2 for late sign-up
This is a cooperative assignment. Do not seek outside
help. Ask me or your classmates for help.
Contributions that count
Do not pretend that someone else's words are yours!
Your contribution to the
discussion should reflect the quality of your reading, understanding, and
interaction with both the discussion and the material.
new For the reading assignment
discussion (not general discussion): you must
only use your own words. You may share material only if you: a) put
the information in your own words, and b) show your reference if it is outside the assigned material.
Check current course calendar for material and schedules.
Generally, you can post (add) any message
related to the discussion subject. I may post a few questions to
start off the discussion. Feel free to add your own topics.
However, to count, your post must
be one of the following:
- Add an interesting point for discussion (fact, observation,
conclusion, further investigation of discussion material, or similar).
- Explain or extend someone else's point (there must be clear added-value).
- Correct a mistake or a misconception, or offer a
- Construct an example to illustrate a point.
- Discuss a design feature or comment on design choices
(explain the reasoning involved).
- Offer an
(a statement or a question which sheds new light or opens up a new
direction or brings about a useful realization).
- Make a connection with another point from the course or from a
- This is a class discussion not a social forum, therefore
- You must use your full real name ("First Last" is enough). For example, Muhammad Al-Hashimi.
- Conversation level should be the same as in class.
- Keep the assignment discussion within the assigned reading material. The
is a better place for interesting but off-topic discussions.
- You are responsible for any post under your name (keep the password to yourself).
- In general, do not cut-and-paste material. Link to the original
information source (paste link).
It's very important that we all know where your words and thoughts end, and where other people's words and thoughts begin.
- Posts in Arabic or English are acceptable.
Your contributions will be evaluated both for quality and
quantity. Most importantly, your posts must show that you have:
- Done an acceptable job reading the material
- new Used your own words
- Contributed to the learning of the group
Posts such as "yes/no", "OK", "I
agree", "that's good" or similar are welcome but will not count for
Grading guide (3-5 must clearly show reading):
||Best interaction, best contribution to group learning
||Good interaction, added-value
||Good evidence of reading
||Minimal interaction and/or little evidence of reading
||One-sided multiple (2+) posts
||No or minimal participation (0-1 post), or not your words
To discourage negative practices
while keeping the discussion as free as possible, there will be -2 points
added to your bonus account for each (different) violation of the rules on this page and
the netiquette guidelines for group discussions.
review the rules carefully
yourself. If necessary, ask questions in the General Discussion.